The Herts Big Weekend
What is Herts Big Weekend?
The Herts Big Weekend forms part of the national English Tourism Week celebrations and helps to promote Hertfordshire to the wider world through the county's biggest advocates - its residents.
The Herts Big Weekend 2018 takes place on 24th and 25th March, offering residents in Hertfordshire the chance to win FREE tickets and days out to attractions across the county.
In 2017 - the campaign's 2nd Big Weekend celebration - the event had over 19,000 ticket applications for hundreds of tickets and experiences donated by over 50 tourism businesses. As part of English Tourism Week, the Big Weekend helps to raise the profile of tourism as an important sector in the local economy and gain the support of the local community.
Last year’s event generated invaluable word of mouth and repeat visits with 97% of Herts Big Weekend survey participants who stated that they would be proud to show their family and friends around Herts and 90% would recommend the attraction to friends and family as a result of the Big Weekend. Businesses also reported an increase in secondary spend. During the campaign, the website received more than 131,000 page views, our tweets reached 118,800 people and press coverage reached over 730,000 people, providing all participating businesses with fantastic free exposure.
To take part in the 2018 campaign, tourism businesses across Hertfordshire must register and allocate free tickets before the 12th January 2018. If your business took part last year, you'll just need to login, check your details are correct and upload your ticket allocation for the Herts Big Weekend 2018. If your business is new to the Herts Big Weekend, you will need to register your business before you can submit your ticket allocation. Find out more by reading our frequently asked questions and instructions on how to submit tickets:
- 12th January - You must ensure all your online listing – including ticket offers, your attraction information and images are up to date by this date
- 8th February – Public ballot for tickets opens
- 8th February - 11thMarch - Publicity drive from Visit Herts and participating attractions
- 11th March – Public ballot closes
- 12th March - Winners are informed
- 12th - 18th March - Returned tickets are added to the website
- 19th March - All returns are finalised
- 22nd March - Final list of winners sent to attractions
- 24th - 25th March - Big Weekend takes place
Herts Big Weekend Logos
The more the Herts Big Weekend is promoted through participating businesses, the more Hertfordshire residents and communities will be reached. Start with your website or blog and include the following information:
- The Herts Big Weekend takes place 24th and 25th March 2018
- Register for tickets at www.hertsbigweekend.co.uk
- Registration opens 8th February and closes 11th March. A pair of tickets per household will be allocated by ballot to the lucky winners, and some family tickets will be available as well
- The event is organised by Visit Herts
- The aim of the Big Weekend is to encourage Hertfordshire residents to discover and experience the array of great attractions and activities in their county - and to encourage word of mouth recommendations
- The Herts Big Weekend takes place during the national English Tourism Week
- include a link to www.hertsbigweekend.co.uk
- Tag @VisitHerts
- Sample tweets and further information will be provided in a Big Weekend Business Toolkit by Visit Herts
Visit Herts provide a toolkit and guidance for businesses participating in the Big Weekend celebrations. Included in this toolkit is a list of key dates, details of how you can check your ticket offer, guidance on how ticket allocation will work, important links, and a guide to how you can promote your attraction and the Herts Big Weekend.
Press Releases & Information
If you have any PR queries around Herts Big Weekend, please contact Lana at Visit Herts on email@example.com