North Hertfordshire is home to the vibrant market towns of Hitchin, Royston and Baldock. As the world’s first Garden City, Letchworth Garden City offers something quite different, with its unique heritage and some interesting places to explore. Letchworth, also lies at the heart of the district, planned to combine the best of ‘town and country’ living.
With over 30 picture postcard villages, steeped in history, some are rumoured to be familiar to kings, queens, famous authors and even a legendary giant.
Wildlife, nature and the outdoors
North Hertfordshire's beautiful countryside is well worth a visit and there are a number of walks and cycle routes available to help you explore the district.
With a wealth of open spaces and nature reserves, we are proud to have five Green Flag award winning parks in the district, all of which have received national recognition for their excellent facilities and for being well maintained.
When temperatures start to soar, the outdoor pools and splash parks are the perfect place to cool off. With outdoor pools in Hitchin and Letchworth, and splash parks in Hitchin, Letchworth, Royston and Baldock, we’ve got it covered.
Letchworth Garden City
As the world’s first Garden City, Letchworth Garden City offers something quite different, with its unique heritage and some interesting places to explore.
Culture and shopping
Hitchin is home to the new state of the art, North Hertfordshire Museum, which hosts a variety of exhibitions and interesting items from around the district. There are many other museums around the district worthy of a visit too.
We are spoilt for choice for places to eat and drink. You’ll find buzzing high streets packed with independent boutiques, coffee shops, restaurants, traditional markets and farmers markets.
Choose from a host of local attractions, including:
• Royston Cave - discover the mystery of Royston Cave, hidden beneath the streets of Royston.
• North Hertfordshire Museum, features exciting exhibitions from curious cats, to mad doctors and suffragettes!
• Norton Common, an attractive nature reserve with a play area, picnic area, woodland walks, tennis courts, skate park and outdoor pool.
• Broadway Cinema and Theatre has a packed programme of cinema screenings, theatre shows, live music performances and exhibitions.
• Hitchin Lavender Farm Walk through rows of lavender and pick your own, then enjoy lunch and homemade cakes in the barn.
• Baldock Charter Market, Baldock High Street. Pop along to buy freshly baked bread, scrumptious cakes, freshly caught fish and beautiful cut flowers each Wednesday.
• Standalone Farm - an open farm with cattle, sheep, pigs, poultry, shire horses and farm walks.
• Knebworth House – one of Britain’s most beloved stately homes, with a dinosaur trail, maze and adventure playground.
• Therfield Heath - renowned for its rare Pasque flowers, wild flower enthusiasts travel from miles to catch them in bloom.
• The British Schools Museum, Hitchin is the place where learning really comes to life. Going to school has never been such fun!
Many popular events take place in the district throughout the year including Rhythms of the World Music Festival in August.
For more information on North Herts, visit: https://www.north-herts.gov.uk/